Tuesday, May 28, 2013

I Can't Explain

Wow, I just absolutely love this song! The sheer number of covers speaks for itself, being six or seven complete ones, and a few samplings here and there. Well this song was written by Who lead and rhythm guitarist, and played a 12-string on this song, Pete Townshed. It was released as a single in December of 1964 for the US, and January of 1965 in the UK, which I though weird because they're a British band, you'd think that it'd come out first in the originating country, apparently not. Pete stated that the thoughts process behind the song came from the Kink's, All Day and All of The Night, and he wrote it when he was eighteen, very cool. The lyrical work is pure genius! Very simple, yet very catchy and meaningful, this song's about the feeling that you get when you see the perfect girl and your heart jumps a little, when you get goosebumps from hearing her speak, the lustful first kiss that pulls out your stomach and tosses it on the ground a little. This song's about new romance and how it encompasses your life. See Mr.Elkin? Not a Scorpions song, oh, wait...

2 comments:

  1. I believe that sandwiching the Scorpions between The Who and Bowie is the ultimate Rock and Roll sin. You are going to Rock and Roll Hell if you don't purge your Rock and Roll soul. The only way to do that is to listen to this: http://youtu.be/6BBfybCPkjA -- because that is Rock and Roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have purged my soul with rock and roll(maybe a good chorus line?), however, I still believe that The Scorpions are the greatest classic metal band of all time.

    ReplyDelete