Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Prettiest Star

The first time I had the pleasure of listening to this song, it entranced me. I was listening to Aladdin Sane with my father, a Bowie fan, and this song came on. The intro was so exquisite, and was adequate for the production of erect hair upon the rear of my neck. The Prettiest Star was released as a single in 1970, but it only sold 800 copies, so it was re-recorded and released on Aladdin Sane in 1973. When it was first recorded, Bowie hired Marc Bolan to do the guitar work for the single, but in the re-recording, Mick Ronson duplicated the guitar almost perfectly, this is the re-recording that was released on Aladdin Sane. Now I have had two thoughts on the meaning of this song, he wrote and played this song to Angela Barnett over the phone, and then proposed to her, but to me, this sounds like past tense, I think he's talking about someone in his past, but hey, that's one opinion. Tell me your thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment: